Japan Trip 2013 - Sushi Daiwa, Tsukiji Fish Market

After having just one hour plus of sleep, our group rose at about 4.30a.m and headed to one of the world's famous sushi spot, the Tsukiji Fish Market.

DSC05371
Not sure what these people were doing at such early hours :/

DSC05372
Tired citizens

DSC05378

It was rather tricky to find the sushi restaurants as there were no proper signages to lead us. After encircling the area for about 15 minutes and asking directions from the locals we finally found our way in. It's actually the road facing directly opposite the National Cancer Centre Hospital.

DSC05384

DSC05385

Initially the plan was to try the world's famous sushi restaurant,Sushi Dai. However the waiting time was about 3 hours for a queue that's just about 5 metres long (at 6 a.m, on a non-peak travel season in Japan). It's really not worth the wait in my opinion. So we opted for Sushi Daiwa, located just next door to Sushi Dai, which is also one of the world's famous sushi place.

DSC05386

DSC05387
3 hour queue for sushi

For Sushi Daiwa, the queue was remarkably shorter and we only had to wait for about 10 minutes to get our seats. They have two shops which could accomodate about 15-20 people, on a rough estimation. The place is as small as it can get. The sushi however, made up for everything.

DSC05393

DSC05396
Tuna maki, Salmon Roe Maki Tuna belly sushi, Ebi sushi, Squid sushi, Kampachi sushi, Tuna sushi, Tamago & Sea Urchin

Not knowing any Japanese, so I let the chef to decide what to make for me (omakase). Good thing that the chef serving me can speak a little bit of English. The sushi was handmade to perfection and the seafood was really, really fresh. Only downside is there was no salmon on offer. :( The normal meal cost me ¥3500 if I was not mistaken. Not satisfied with the current meal, I topped up 3 more sushis (Red Snapper, Scallop and another fish I couldn't recall it's name.) So my total bill was ¥4700. Yeap, most expensive meal and breakfast I've ever had in my entire life. One of the best as well. Though I find that the Salmon Roe Maki was a bit salty.There was free flow green tea and miso soup as well. Really delicious. Still, I couldn't justify waiting for 3 hours just to eat sushi regardless of how delicious it tastes. I'd rather spend the extra time on more sight seeing but that's just me.

DSC05400
Red snapper, scallop, ??? About RM25 per piece

DSC05402

DSC05408
Tuna after being auctioned

After this meal I've never looked at sushi the same way again. Which explains why I don't crave for the cheap sushi chains back in Malaysia anymore as the quality is just not there. Might as well just save the money for better sushi. =X Would definitely return here to watch the tuna auction as well as exploring the other parts of the market as well.


Next: Ueno Park
Previous: Akihabara Night Visit 



Comments