Asia Pacific Pharmaceutical Symposium (APPS) 2012 Review and Thoughts

From the 3rd of July until the 8th of July 2012 I went to Taipei, Taiwan to attend the Asian Pacific Pharmaceutical Symposium (APPS) which was organised by the Asian Pacific Regional Office of the International Pharmaceutical Students Federation. I first got to know about this event in December last year and I was really interested to join. Needless to say, the rest was history and I boarded my plane to Taiwan for this symposium.

DSC04680

Overall I really gained a lot from this symposium, especially being able to know friends from all over the Asia Pacific region, notably Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Australia and not forgetting Malaysia as well. I was able to discuss and share our experience of pharmacy education and the industry back in our respective countries and it was really an eye opener for me. This symposium also taught me how important the power of language was. Being able to converse fluently and write in both English & Mandarin(Simplified & Traditional) had really made my life in Taiwan very much easier. I do not regret taking my Chinese education to SPM level now even though it was quite an ordeal during my high school days. Adding on to that, having some grasp on simple Korean phrases also helped me a lot in getting along with the Korean participants. I shall make it a point to go for more language classes during my summer holidays to improve my grasp of other languages. :D I really do hope that I could keep in touch with friends from other countries, and Facebook has really just made that very much easier.

Alright, moving on to what the symposium was all about and the experiences that I gained :


Day 0
Today was the day of registration of participants. I arrived at East Holiday Inn Hotel around 9.30am in the morning to mark my attendance.

DSC03836


After going through the rather pleasant registration process, I left my luggage in the organisers care and left the venue to continue my tour around Taipei city =P. When I came back to the hotel, it was already about 8.15pm and the welcome party had already begun. The participants were playing ice breaking games and many amazing performances were dished out.

DSC04211

DSC04251
Very well coordinated group dance. Kudos to them.


After the welcome party, everybody then went back with their respective activities while the Malaysian contingent stayed on to discuss what are we going to perform for the Global Village Night. 



Day 1
Finally the day everybody was waiting for. The day started with the opening ceremony whereby the big shots of the Pharma industry of Taiwan came to present an opening speech and welcomed all the participants to APPS 2012.

DSC04266

DSC04270
The Chairperson of APPS 2012!

After all the formalities, the first activity of the day begun with talks. The first talk was by Prof. Oliver Hu who was the Director General of Health for Taiwan. 

DSC04276

DSC04279

One of the main points that Prof Hu brought up was how he successfully separated the dispensing rights between the pharmacists and the doctors, which is still a prevailing issue in Malaysia. All I can say is, dispensing rights separation is very much possible in Malaysia, but for that to happen we need a very strong political voice in the government. Someone like Prof. Hu who is a trained pharmacist by profession. If we could have a pharmacist as an MP in parliament or holding a very high position such as the DG of health I believe the day Malaysia sees a dispensing separation would not be too far away.

After the talks there were more series of workshops such as Patient Counselling Event(PCE) and Student Exchange Workshop. 

DSC04285
Eric conducting the PCE

The PCE was exactly the same as what I had for my OSCE (Oral Structured Clinical Exam) classes during the past semester so everything was pretty familiar to me. However I was a bit surprised that only Monash University integrates this aspect into their syllabus and puts a very strong emphasis on it, at least for my year.  I feel a bit better now after paying such a hefty sum of money getting into this university as I know I've gained a lot more.

DSC04288
Counselling tips

For the Student Exchange Workshops I found out there were actually many exchange opportunities to other countries for a short period of time. Maybe I will try to apply it during my 3rd or 4th year when I have a better knowledge on the pharmacy course. Aiming for Seoul or somewhere in Europe where I can see snow xD. 

DSC04329

DSC04327

DSC04333
One of the participants sharing his exchange experience in Czech Republic


After dinner, we then headed to National Taiwan University for the Auction Night. Basically this auction night was a fundraising event whereby each countries bring something  unique from their own countries and put it up for auction. The money gained from this event will then be used to sponsor a needy student so that he/she could attend conferences such as APPS etc.

DSC04340
NTU Convention Centre

DSC04344
Raise this fan if you want to bid

DSC04350
Various items available for auction

DSC04369

DSC04373
A friend from Japan bidding for an item

DSC04375
Bidding successful!!

DSC04377
New souvenirs to bring home!



Day 3

Day 3 started with another symposium. I attended the one titled "Drug-drug, drug-herb and drug-food interaction." This talk was quite poorly conducted though as the speaker was basically just reading off the slides without adding any additional information. Basically what I learned was those herbs deemed as 'natural' and 'safe' may have fatal side effects if we do not understand the pharmacological properties well. So being 'natural' doesn't necessary means its safe for consumption along with other medications that you are currently taking, especially warfarin.

DSC04422

DSC04421

After the talk we also had some discussion whereby participants from each countries share how Traditional & Complementary Medicine faired in their countries. Following on to that was a poster exhibition competition. Didn't really pay much attention it though. xD All we had to do what stick a 'Like' sticker to whichever poster that you thought was interesting.

DSC04456
'Like!'


The next agenda of the day was the hospital visit! Prior to the symposium everybody was given a chance to select a hospital/NGO of their choice to visit and places for each venue were quite limited. For my part I picked Shuang Ho Hospital which was located in Tao Yuan (桃園).

DSC04459

DSC04460

When we arrived the hospital pharmacists greeted us and explained briefly about what the hospital was all about and its history.

DSC04488
Group photo

DSC04504
Outpatient pharmacy

After that we were brought to a mini tour of the hospital. One of the highlights of the hospital is that it has a drive through pharmacy! This is the first hospital in Taiwan to provide such services though I believe there are one or two hospitals in Malaysia which are also offering such a service.

DSC04506

DSC04510

DSC04505

The drive through pharmacy are only for patients who wants to do a refill for their prescriptions. If it is for a new script the patient has to go to the outpatient pharmacy first.


And finally, the main event for the day, Global Village Night! In simple words this function is a cultural night whereby participants from each countries present their performance! Everybody also dressed up in their traditional costumes and it was really nice to see.

DSC04675

DSC04552
Performance by Taiwan high school students

Korean Performance Part 1

Korean Performance Part 2

DSC04579
Indonesia

DSC04604
Performance by APRO!


DSC04654
Canada!


DSC04648
Malaysia

And last but not least, the winner of the best performance for the night: JAPAN!

DSC04661


DSC04672

DSC04678
Baju Kebaya!

DSC04681
Korean Traditional Costume

And that concludes a wonderful day~!


Day 4

I believe today is the day everybody was looking forward for: Taipei 1 Day tour! We were brought to a few places by the organisers to get the feel of Taipei for one day, which includes the National Palace Museum, Taipei Expo Park,Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall and Ping Xi. I will post more about all these places in a separate blog post though. :D


First stop: National Palace Museum (故宮)


DSC04717
In front of National Palace Museum. No pictures were allowed to be taken in the museum though :/


2nd stop: Taipei Expo Park

DSC04743

DSC04798
Whale

DSC04815

DSC04837

3rd stop: Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall

DSC04971

Last stop: Lantern releasing at Ping Xi!

DSC05031

DSC05038

DSC05043

DSC05067

It was really a heart warming and beautiful sight as we watched the lanterns written with all of our wishes slowly float into the sky and disappear into the darkness abyss. Hope that my wishes all will come true!


Day 5
After breakfast we were all ferried to Taipei Medical University. Our first agenda of the day was the regional meeting by APRO.

DSC05096

The organisers of APPS 2013 from Japan then came out to give a preview of what is to be expected for next years APPS in Tokyo! Sadly the date falls after my semester starts but I will be trying very hard to get approval to attend this event.

DSC05101

After that i participated in a Clinical Skills Event which tested my knowledge of drugs and clinical application. Since I am only in my 2nd year I was not very familiar with the drugs and did the test rather badly haha. A good experience nonetheless.

The last activity of the day was to walk over to the Xin Yi district (nearby Taipei 101) to attend a campaign which was organised by the Pharmacy Society of Taiwan to promote safe medication use for the consumers.

DSC05184

We were asked to collect signatures for the public and educate them that they should seek advises from a pharmacist regarding their medications.

DSC05233

At about 4pm our duties were done and we were free for the rest of the day. For me I went on to visit the Taipei 101 tower and the Shih Lin night market :)


Day 6

And finally, the last day of the symposium in Taiwan :(  The day begin in a dull fashion, with 4 talks back to back arranged for us. I could not understand why the organisers had to squeeze all the talks on the last day when everybody was visibly exhausted and tired after a long week of activities.

DSC07097

DSC07099

DSC07125
Our lunch are usually served like these. Sometimes we were served sushis and buns. I have no idea why though, but those 2 food are not filling at all :/


For the 2nd part of the day, there was the Patient Counselling Event finals and some pharmacy contest and a presentation by an Indonesian university to be the host for APPS 2014.

DSC07146

And last but not least, the final event for APPS 2012 was the Gala Dinner which was held at NTUH Convention Centre. Everybody was dressed very elegantly. All the guys were very handsome and ladies were very pretty and mesmerising for the night! 

DSC07173

DSC07171

DSC07175

DSC07177

DSC07183
Performance for the night

DSC07191
Taiwan passing the baton over to Japan for next year's APPS

And it's time to take photosssssssssss :D

DSC07181 (2)

DSC07188 (2)
With Korean girls

DSC07192 (2)
Japan!

DSC07205 (2)
Australia~

DSC07210
Taiwanese Senior from Monash Parkville :D

DSC07223
Monash Sunway!

DSC07216
Singapore!

DSC07232
Room mates (Taiwanese & Malaysian) for the 5 nights

DSC07233
Thailand!

DSC07237
And an ending dance to mark the end of a fantastic night and symposium!!

DSC07205
I even won a prize from the lucky draw session! XD


A very big thank you to all those involved in organising APPS 2012 to make sure that this event was a rather successful one (though the registration process was rather poorly handled ._. ). Thank you for all the memories and new friends gained and I really hope to attend the Japan symposium next year. :D

Comments

Unknown said…
warm Greeting


These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so
I happy to find many good point here in the post, writing is simply great, thank you for the blog.




pharmaceutical equipment
jessxoxo said…
Hello there! I really enjoyed reading your APPS experience in Taiwan. I am also a pharmacy student from USM, just ended my first year. hehe. Your blogpost inspires me to take part in the coming APPS too. :) Thanks for writing such an awesome post. Now I have can imagine better what activities are carried out in the symposium. ^_____^
ZS said…
hehe you are most welcome :)